On 03/16/2023 08:27 PM, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 04:26:03PM +0100, H wrote:
>> I also realized that I, in addition, have several zipped Thunderbird mail
>> archives that I also ought to "dump" into this to-be consolidated mail
>> archive. It is my understanding that Thunderbird (I have been using version
>> 59) uses the mboxrd format.
>>
> you can configure your active account as imap, and the backup as a local box
> (i'm not a regular TB user, but i imagine it can't be that hard to re-import
> it). then you just drag over the mails.
>
> you'd still need some method of de-duplication, though.
>
>> However, you wrote that the 'D~=' sequence in mutt would de-duplicate based
>> on message-ID which you said "should be good enough". Could you shed some
>> further light on this last statement so I know what the limitations are?
>>
> it would fail if you created edited duplicates of some mails without changing
> the message-id. that would be somewhat unexpected ...

For that to work, I would have to configure Thunderbird to use Maildir rather
than the default mboxrd message format, correct? I am still using Thunderbird
version 59 due to some issues with calendar handling and my understanding,
limited as it might be, is that while Thunderbird can use Maildir format, there
may be bugs.

Am I correct that the filename of message files when using Maildir is not
critical (although it must end with the part for the status of the message),
iow the first part does not really matter?

Got your comment on de-duplicating messages.