on 8/23/01 6:12 PM, "Peter Donald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> uh-huh. Love to hear those reasons. Event better yet would you provide
> evidence where such a problem has occured at Apache - perhaps as a pointer to
> email archive?

Now you are asking for a precedent. There isn't one because I have always
avoided going to battle in one way or another. It hasn't been worth it.

People who release their software under a *GPL license do so either out of
ignorance (and can be easily convinced to BSD it) or because they truly want
a *GPL license (and therefore we need to re-implement it because the
fundamental beliefs are different (free vs. open)).

For instance, there wasn't a regex package for Java that was under a
non-*GPL license. Therefore, I found one and brought it to Jakarta. The same
was true for the WebMacro bullshit I had to go through...we created Velocity
instead.

I'm in the business to make money off of Open Source. I believe in Open, not
Free.

-jon