On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:45, Jon Stevens wrote:
> on 8/23/01 6:12 PM, "Peter Donald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > uh-huh. Love to hear those reasons. Event better yet would you provide
> > evidence where such a problem has occured at Apache - perhaps as a
> > pointer to email archive?
>
> Now you are asking for a precedent. There isn't one because I have always
> avoided going to battle in one way or another. It hasn't been worth it.

eh ? Quite a few projects at apache use LGPL code or have in the past ...

Besides quite a few Apache projects have violated licenses in past
(particularly Sun licenses).

> People who release their software under a *GPL license do so either out of

GPL is definetly a not usable here but LGPL is what you talked about. They
are different licenses with different limitations. LGPL really only sucks for
people who want to do java onto chips (not something we see for many jakarta
projects), it also adds an extra step if you natively compile. Both of these
are due to the irritating relinking clause.

> ignorance (and can be easily convinced to BSD it) or because they truly
> want a *GPL license (and therefore we need to re-implement it because the
> fundamental beliefs are different (free vs. open)).

Apaches software is free software (in both senses of word) - it is just not
copyleft.

> For instance, there wasn't a regex package for Java that was under a
> non-*GPL license. Therefore, I found one and brought it to Jakarta. The
> same was true for the WebMacro bullshit I had to go through...we created
> Velocity instead.
>
> I'm in the business to make money off of Open Source. I believe in Open,
> not Free.

Hey - I don't much like copyleft anymore either and I am all for money making
off OSS. I still can't see how your claim that LGPL could cause legal issues
is substantiated though.

--
Cheers,

Pete