On Sep 30, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Alan Kent wrote:
> The other thing I have not looked into deeply yet is authentication
> support.  E.g. Authentication infrastructures using Kerberos, NTML,
> CAS,
> SAML, SPNEGO or whatever else the customer dictates is required by
> their
> environment.  My understanding with Flash the way you have to do
> this is
> get the flash app to talk back to the web browser.  So does that
> mean if
> you tear a JavaFX app out of a web browser and drop it on the
> desktop it
> can no longer hook into authentication infrastructures?
> Authentication
> is a pain.  I would rather keep this isolated and easy to change in
> apps
> that are built.
>
> My utopia is two JVMs (one on client, one on server) talking over an
> authenticated, secure connection, sending async messages to each other
> with an Actor based (multi-threaded) infrastructure.  Its getting
> closer
> (Scala for Actors, JavaFX almost ready for UI, not sure about state of
> authentication), but its not quite here yet.

JavaFX lets you call any Java lib you want on both the client and the
server. This means you can use any authentication scheme you want
using one of the many Java authentication libs out there, with the
same lib on both the client and the server.

For draggable applets the applet loses the connection with the webpage
it's from if you close the browser or go to another page. However, in
the case of authentication, this is a matter of the sockets/http
requests going from your applet to your server side app (servlet or
some such). Thus it's completely under your control and doesn't
involve the webbrowser at all. This means dragging out the applet will
not have any effect. It would be the same as launching a webstart app
of the same code.

- Josh