I think Robert is talking about the remaining 99.9% who can't scratch
their own itch (i.e. unlike Andy & Brian of Fan), who can't/won't
embrace Scala/Ruby/Python or who simply requires corporate backing for
political reasons.

Java gained such massive adoption not because it was a particularly
great language, but because it became a standard - managers love
standards because it provides stability and security. So this is the
same demography who would be attracted to .NET and that could explain
the current backlash against the state of innovation (or lack thereof)
in Java. It does feel a little bit like being stuck between a rock and
a hard place, especially since JavaFX seems to serve mostly to scratch
Sun's own itch but utterly uninteresting to most others. So I would
not be surprised if we'll see a little bit of the same trend as with
current Sun hardware customers fleeing to IBM.

/Casper