I'm not sure if the applet uses the same http cache as the browser.
However, applets can talk to the page they are in with javascript.
This means you should be able to grab a copy of the cookie while you
are in the browser and save it for later use if the user restarts the
app from the desktop shortcut without the browser.

- Josh