Hard to believe I'm the first American responding to this thread...

My employer pays for 10 holidays annually (includes 2 "floating"
holidays) -- this is more than average. Previous employers generally
recognized and paid for 6-8 holidays. If the holiday occurs on a
weekend, it moves to Fri or Mon, again this is not done everywhere.

We accrue paid time off on a monthly basis and the amount of time off
depends on your years of service with the company. Additionally we can
roll earned but unused days over to the next year which is a practice
that is being phased out in the US. Again, these numbers are specific
to my current employer, some will offer more but most will offer less.

0-2 yrs of service: 10 days per year @ 0.833 per month and max 15 days balance
3-4 yrs: 15 days @ 1.25 per mo and max 20 days balance
5+ yrs: 20 days @ 1.66 per mo and max 25 days

On top of this, we accrue 0.66 days of paid sick leave per month for a
total of 8 paid sick days annually. This does not roll over. Most US
companies will offer 5 days paid sick leave or combine sick leave and
vacation time.

Since I've been with the company for 6 years, that means I earn:
10 holidays
20 days pto
8 sick days
= 38 total paid days off per year, which is pretty substantial, nearly 8 weeks

Someone else mentioned paternity leave... In the US, the Family
Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requires employers to provide up to 12 weeks
of unpaid time off for maternity and paternity leave etc. Some
employers will pay for some or all of that time off, but most will
not. Mine will allow us to use accrued paid time off if we would like.
I took a couple weeks when my son was born earlier this year and
called it sick days, since I am rarely sick and I can't roll them
over.

My wife is a doctor and she gets even more time off than I do (if you
add the holidays, its ~11 wks) which causes a minor rift when she has
time off and I don't. ;-) She also got paid for 4 wks off (maternity)
and took another 2 weeks (vacation) when our son was born.

Wayne