I simply objected
> to the generalization that it was a "western" thing to value people by the
> job they do instead of who they are. The ability to speak candidly in debate
> is something treasured greatly here.

I think soemtimes it might be appropriate to write ALL the thoughts that come into
your head when writing!  I said in the 'western' world, haveing changed it from 'the
world', because I only know about the western world! I am also fairly certain I ahve
read about other cultures where worth is not measured this way. However, point taken.
perhpas it is a world wide thing and not just a western thing.

---