<< MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice were as equally untalented as Cristina and Madonna but
nobody criticised them in terms of
their gender. >>

I seem to be becoming Madonna's temporary unofficial spokesman here, but Mike,
PUR-LEASE!  Madonna does not deserve to be lumped in with those other three names, not
by a long chalk.  If nothing else, her longevity sets her apart.  I've already made my
case about the worth of some of her records, so I won't go through that again...

Interestingly, while you are right that Hammer and Vanilla Ice were not criticised for
being men, Vanilla Ice WAS heavily slated because of his colour.  I don't know what
this tells us (I'll probably think of a grand theory soon enough :-)

Azeem in London