Colin, I can see that you and I just aren't going to
agree on this, but oh, well, that's OK.
You just don't understand where I'm coming from.

You said something about "God has to punish someone".
You are confusing forgiveness of sin with expiation of
sin. God forgives sins, yes, but there also must be a
price to pay. eg, even if a criminal is sorry, he
still has to serve his time. God is a forgiving and
merciful God, yes, but He is also a God of Justice.

EVen writing this, I know you still won't understand.
One of the reasons I do not like philosophy much is
that it destroys faith. Man just HAS to try and
explain and understand everything - but you can't. No
more than my dog can understand how it is suddenly
light when I flick a lightswitch. Maybe I am lucky, in
the I have seen miracles.

We will all understand one day, though.
Some of the christian prophets today (yes people still
prophesy) speak of a time of trial coming soon called
the 'mini-judgement' in which everyone on earth will
see themselves as God sees them. This is because God
doesn't want anyone to perish - he wants everyone to
have a chance.

I know you will probably poo-poo this idea, too, but
thats OK :)

As far as Vince and the Pope Pius thing - I think you
can only judge whether something is true or not by the
effect it has on others. eg, 'you can only judge a
tree by it's fruit'.

Would the New York Times have written in 1941 -
"The voice of Pius XII is a lonely voice in the
silence and darkness enveloping Europe this
Christmas.... He is about the only ruler left on the
Continent of Europe who dares to raise his voice at
all."  if Pius were 'Hitlers Pope'?

Would Golda Meir, later a prime minister of Israel,
and leaders of Jewish communities in Hungary, Turkey,
Italy, Romania and the United States have thanked the
pope for saving hundreds of thousands of Jews? No.

Would Einstein have written in December 23, 1940 issue
of Time magazine on page 38,

"Being a lover of freedom, when the revolution came in
Germany, I looked to the universities to defend it,
knowing that they had always boasted of their devotion
to the cause of truth; but, no, the universities
immediately were silenced. Then I looked to the great
editors of the newspapers whose flaming editorials in
days gone by had proclaimed their love of freedom; but
they, like the universities, were silenced in a few
short weeks...

Only the Church stood squarely across the path of
Hitler's campaign for suppressing truth. I never had
any special interest in the Church before, but now I
feel a great affection and admiration because the
Church alone has had the courage and persistence to
stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am
forced thus to confess that what I once despised I now
praise unreservedly."?

Would the charity and work of Pope Pius XII during
World War II have so impressed the Chief Rabbi of
Rome, Israel Zolli, that in 1944 he became a Catholic?
He also changed his name to Israel Eugenio Zolli,
Eugenio being the Pope's name.

As I said, none of these people (and MANY more) would
have said or done these things if the pope had been
"Hitler's Pope". You can only judge history by it's
effect on people. Vince, you claim to have a shelf
full of books on the subject, but I think only from
one point of view. You read what you want to read, and
who wouldn't? But the evidence is out there, plenty of
it, to say that Pope was the only world leader to
speak out against Hitler, and who saved more Jews than
Schindler. I only ask that you please look into the
information from the other point of view before making
up your mind.

Joseph.

- What's on at your local cinema?