Colin, I agree. I lost 7 stone (nearly 100 lbs) in 7 months on a low carb, high protein, low fat diet two years ago. I'd tried low fat diets on their own before but they didn't work. A soon as I dropped the carbs, the weight started to fall off. I'd been in a bad relationship and got depressed, started eating, which made my asthma worse so I couldn't exercise, which meant I ate more, and on and on, vicious circle, until I reached 205 lbs which is nearly 15 stone, and I'm only 5 ft 2 ins. It probably took about 7 years of concerted eating to get me there.

One day I was working past a car window at a fair in Ramsgate, and I caught sight of myself and for a brief moment I thought it was Hattie Jacques - remember her? So I went home, shocked, looked around the internet for info on nutrition, read as much as I could, devised my own diet (which was basically high protein, low carb, and no sugar whatsoever), and ate that three times a day for 7 months. Also went to the gym, lifted weights, did treadmill. It was astonishing how fast I lost it, and my body responded really well, asthma improved, skin looked healthier etc. So I agree - carbs are the real problem. But so hard to avoid! There was an article in, I think, yesterday's Telegraph that carbs actually change the brain's chemistry when you eat them, leaving you addicted because the brain produces an opiate in response to them, and once you've experienced that feeling, the brain sends you back for more. It is the same opiate that heroin produces. They said that the carbs and fat combination in just one junk meal is enough to get the addiction started.

Sarah