Sarah wrote:

> I suppose it's something in your mind, Kakki, even if there's welfare
> help available. <snip>. Whatever it was, it must have been
> heartbreaking.

Just as a preface - some people on the list get very upset when this subject
is discussed - so just so they won't (hopefully) jump on me - I have never
sat in judgment of Joni for her life experiences.  I know it must have been
heartbreaking because I'm old enough to remember societal mores back then
and the truly helpless position of many women and girls in her situation.  I
had a few friends and acquantinances in the same situation growing up. I'm
absolutely not suggesting she should have done everything she could have to
keep her baby. I was specifically curious as to why she chose to go to a
Catholic home to help her during her pregnancy and whether there were not
any other options (like a government-funded facility or a
Protestant-affiliated home, etc.) that she could have turned to instead.

Kakki