Kakki, I wasn't trying to suggest you were being less than sympathetic. No, I know what you mean. She was old enough to keep her baby, and in theory there were people who could have helped in a different way. That's what I meant when I said it ends up being something in your mind. Something caused her to believe she couldn't do it, and maybe she was right about herself, or she made it right, who knows? We can't think ourselves into her position, not exactly. I suppose in going to the nuns, you go to what you know, even if you despise it. Maybe they were the ones who put the sense of worthlessness into her in the first place. I'm guessing wildly here, because I have no idea, but it wouldn't surprise me. There may even have been an element of self-punishment in it: I'm not good enough, I'll give the baby to people who will know I'm not good enough etc. Odd ideas can lodge in young girls' minds with surprising ferocity, and they often come out in the first flush of a pregnancy - feelings of self-disgust, low self-esteem, self-hatred, lack of self-definition. For that reason, it's important to keep young girls (boys too, but for other reasons) away from people who will make them feel inadequate or inferior - and sadly, the Catholic Church has a reputation for excelling in those areas.

Sarah