actually im quite surprised looking back at my posting now. i didnt realise
quite how much emotion there was in it at the time of writing!!!  i was just
posting to support what people were saying about communication, and i wound
up venting instead. obviously something i still need to deal with to some
extent.

not necessarily. It is normal for old pain to cause a rush of emotion. you'd onlyhave to fdeal with it if you were eaten up by it every day or if it prevented you getting close again.

well. not really. my cat just doesnt care what i say as long as i feed him
and fuss him.

same as my dogs.

talk about communication-John and I had a blazing row today-over the dogs! My alpha female has been spayed. A much younger female is pregannt. In the wild, only the Alpha gets to be pregnant. So we have trouble. Martha stalks Napoli(the pregnant one). Napoli puts up with for a while and then goes for the kill as she has babies to protect, even if not yet born. Martha is much smaller and weaker. So we are having to play musical cages....(this does not seem to happen when all the females are entire)
Not fair on anyone. So reluctantly we are allowing Martha to go to a new home where she will get all the attention to herself.
It is so easy to forget that my beloved little ones are animals and behave as such!