On 10/25/23 08:01, Saku Ytti via juniper-nsp wrote:

Juniper had assured me multiple times that they strategically have
decided to NEVER do this. That it's an actual decision they've
considered at the highest level, that they will not downgrade devices
in operation. I guess 'reboot' is not in-operation?

Notion that operators are able to keep licenses up-to-date and valid
is naive, we can't keep SSL certificates valid and we've had decades
of time to learn, it won't happen. You will learn about the problem,
when shit breaks.

The right solution would be a phone-home, and a vendor sales rep
calling you 'hey you have expired licenses, let's solve this'. Not
breaking the boxes. Or 'your phone home hasn't worked, you need to fix
it before we can re-up your support contract'.

I spoke to my SE about this today, and he checked with the PLM. While a license can be purchased to quiet the logs, it is not necessary for routing protocols to work.

If you buy your MX304 from Juniper, you will pay for a license anyway.

He thinks the issue the OP experienced where routing protocols did not work after the reboot is an unrelated issue to licenses.

Mark.