DJ,

Yes, you understand it completely. Registering it as an LSA would have
limited the airplane, not the pilot. If I chose to let my medical lapse, I can
continue to fly it. Best of all worlds.

Thanks,

Rob

In a message dated 4/17/2012 6:52:20 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
d...@deej.net writes:

On  4/17/2012 8:31 AM, Robert7721 wrote:
> My airplane N1852Z meets LSA.  However, it is licensed as an E-AB and I
recommend any builder register it  that way anyway. Reason is you don't know
the performance numbers until you  test it in Phase I. My KR2S is slow but
built light and uses the RAF 48  airfoil. Stall speed was 50 mph which meets
the LSA requirements. I also have  a Class III medical so don't try and
stick the FAA on  me.

Rob,
A Sport Pilot or a Private  Pilot using a drivers license as a
medical can fly an EAB aircraft that  meets the specs of an LSA.   If
your KR meets all the specs of  an LSA aircraft, you can let that Class
III medical expire and continue  flying it with no worry about getting
the FAA stuck on  you...

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV