My hangar mate is doing just as a couple of proposed here. He and his dad
completed a Sonex with 3300 Jabaru last summer and licensed it as E-AB. He
flies it as a private pilot. His dad got his Light Sport License after they
completed their plane and now flies it as a light sport. The only headache with
the insurance carrier was that his dad had to go get a tailwheel endorsement,
then 10 hours instructor time in the Sonex, then another 10 hours of solo time
in the Sonex before the insurance would cover him with passengers. None of that
seemed either unreasonable or unusual to me. Their Sonex has a placard advising
to limit the engine to something like 2500 RPM after 5 minutes to comply with
light sport rules. That allows for the use of full power for take off and
climb, then a limitation to 2500 RPM for cruise to keep the aircraft speed
within the Light Sport parameters. When the son is flying it, he doesn't have
to comply with the light sport rules, so is "allowed" to operate at a higher
RPM and speed.

 -Jeff Scott
 Los Alamos, NM