Jeff York wrote:

>>I'm adding a photo of the back side of one of the heads. They both have a black carbon looking buildup outside of the combustion chamber area. I should have checked the torque before pulling the heads. This doesn't look normal. Is Permatex 3H suppose to be used on the matting surfaces of the jug and the head ? <<

I don't use Permatex 3H anymore because it's messy and hard to clean up on the next rebuild, but instead I use Elring Curil-T, a non-hardening sealant that's used on metal to metal joints like case halves.  It's a favorite of Porsche engine builders and the like, and it works just fine.  I used that on the Corvair I'm building now (in progress for two years, but on my short list for this winter).   I use a small bead of 3M "ultra" silicone sealant between cylinder bases and engine case, after thorough de-greasing, of course.

You definitely run that thing way richer than I do.  I run mine way lean of peak unless I'm on climbout on a hot day. I'm a cheapskate, and not a fan of lead deposits (I have to use 100LL because of what the fuel tank is made out of).

 I doubt that black stuff around the heads is blow-by....seems like that would have torched out a path and you'd know about it. My guess is that's fried oil, but I could be wrong. I've never seen one of my engines do that, whatever it is.  I do often use copper head gaskets on VWs and Corvairs, especially if I'm tweaking combustion volume.  They squish a tad and ensure no leakage, not that I've ever had a problem with that.  CB Performance sells various sizes and thicknesses, named "CopperHead" gaskets.  I don't think any sealant in that joint would last long, and would almost certainly squish out when torquing the heads.

 I wrote the below earlier today, but hadn't sent it yet:

The link I sent this morning was Corvair oriented.  I also documented the 2180 engine I built for N891JF when I first bought it.  It's very sparse on explanation (I've only had 10 years to finish it up) but there are a 125 pictures of the total rebuild process, including valve guide replacement and that sort of thing.  Hopefully you can get the gist of it.  CC'ing the chambers is over the top for an engine whose geometry is already known and has been flying already, but this was a new build from almost all new parts, which dictates attention to all details.

 I guess I should spend the two hours to caption all the photos.....maybe over winter.  But first I should knock out the stuff on my last list of "what I'll do during winter"..... two years ago.  I finally knocked out number one on that two year old list last week, so no promises!  See http://www.n56ml.com/n891jf/2180/    for excruciating detail in the 2180cc photos.....

Mark Langford
m...@n56ml.com
http://www.n56ml.com
Huntsville, AL