My last trip to the library brought home _Hanging by a Thread_ by
Monica Ferris.  Her _Framed in Lace_ was mentioned on this list a
while ago, but _Crewel World_ is a better introduction.  Though it's
shelved as mystery, I count this series as fantasy -- the needlework
shop not only exists, it makes enough profit for the owner to live on!

Though rather slight, and interesting mostly for the needlework
connection, the series is noteworthy for taking place in a small town
where people are *not* dropping like flies!  Both of the sequels[1] I
read were about solving crimes that had lain dormant in unsolved
files for ages; I rather expect the author to decide soon that she is
skilled enough to write a story in which there is no murder at all.

---------------------------

"Keeper of the Bees" by Jean Stratton-Porter is justly one of her
lesser-known works, but, having discovered just before finding the
book that some of her works were listed in the cardless catalog
under "Gene Stratton-Porter", I thought it interesting that one
of the characters was a child of undetermined sex named "Jean".

Given the date of the story, I thought it impressive that the solution
to the child's problem was *not* to explain to her that being an
indolent sissy is fun, but to sign her up with the Girl Scouts.

---------------------------

Catharine Asaro's "Moon Shadow" was rather difficult to check out
of the library -- first I had to put it in! -- but worth the expense, I
thought.

Asaro's work lies in enough different genres to appeal to almost
anybody.  The Scolian Empire is technically space opera, but it is
also hard SF and sci fi that I can think of offhand.

Most of the stories are romances -- one male reviewer was so
enjoying the war background of "Primary Inversion" that he was
quite wroth when the two lovers tipped on out and got married
before the war was over -- he wanted to know how the war came
out!  (C'mon, Charley, it was a WAR already -- both sides lost, and
nothing was settled.)

Some think the series begins with _Primary Inversions_
-- first-published, and the most sci-fi of the series -- and some think
that _The Last Hawk_ is the place to start -- though published later,
it begins earlier.  But _Last Hawk_ ends after _Radiant Seas_, the
sequel to _Primary Inversions_.

Each story stands on its own -- and each is improved by having read
all the other stories.

For a straight re-telling of Cinderella, see _Catch the Lightning_.

---------------------------

Went back to the library and got _The Harvester_.  Counter clerk
remarked that she hadn't checked out a Jean Stratton-Porter in
years, which I think a great pity.

_The Harvester_ -- I'm on page 59 -- is *definitely* not for people
who like a fast-moving plot.

Indeed, the dust-cover blurb (which was pasted inside the front
cover) summarizes the entire story.

Nice thing about the older books:  They have a pocket in the back
you can stash the due-date slip in.

---------------------------

On the way to the library, I picked up _Camber of Culdi_ by
Katherine Kurtz at Bishop's Books.

The Deryni stories are often downers.  They are the history of
a fictional kingdom, and things work out about the way they do
in real history.  But not bad if you are feeling good, the weather
is pleasant, and you have a hammock.

---------------------------

"The Interior Life", a fantasy about a housewife who catches up
on her housework, is always good.  Dorothy Heydt wrote it, but
for some reason the publisher gave it the generic pseudonym
"Katherine Blake".  And a really strange cover depicting Darklife as
*cute*.  Then they failed to promote it and remaindered most of the
copies, so it's hard to find, but worth sending Interlibrary Loan after.

If you look very closely, it's in three different fonts to say whether
you are in Mundania[2], Fantasyland, or the House of Mist.  Helps to
hold the book at arms length, as Mundania and Fantasyland are very
slightly different densities.

--
Joy Beeson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[1] the first proprietor of Crewel World was murdered in the introduction.
[2] Mundania:  the ordinary (mundane) world,
      or a reasonable facsimile thereof.
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED]