At 1:05 AM +0100 7/23/04, Jane Partridge wrote:
In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Karisse Moore
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
But the pricking card itself moved up the pins.

This actually is the problem of having so many pins close to each other - in Torchon, where the pins are more widely spaced, the problem is one of the lace rising up the pins. With Bucks, the card rises off the pillow. I was taught (by Jennifer Ford) to correct this by making sure that the edge pins are slanted correctly (slightly out, slightly back) and the pins between are all absolutely vertical. This is quite often difficult to achieve when you are working on a flat pillow, especially as you tend to work with it on a slope. The pins must be perpendicular to the pillow, so if the back edge is raised, it means placing them towards you, rather than away! Once you start working in this way, you will find that the card will settle back to the pillow again, even if you have a section that remains slightly raised.

I seem to have a different problem, that of the lace moving up the pins when I do Bucks point. My pricking stays flat (working on a 24" cookie pillow currently), but the lace has lifted maybe 4-5 millimeters (a bit less than 1/4 inch) off the surface of the pricking. I do place the edge pins as described by Jane, and I think my middle forest of pins are fairly vertical, and yet the lace rises up!

Despite this, I have just last night completed working all the pins in my Bucks point fan, started in Louise Colgan's class at last year's IOLI convention. I may try to get it mounted this weekend. I am so excited to have finished this huge project, and to have completed it before this year's convention!

--
Mary, in Baltimore, MD