Here is a bit more on the two-pin pattern pinning method -- # One below.

I just remembered one additional thing on the two pin method. The second pin is bent a little bit before pinning. After pinning in and out of the fabric, over the pin, and in the fabric again, twist it so the 'hump' is up (over the first pin), and both the pin point and head are pushed into the fabric. This is so there is nothing sticking up for the threads to catch on.

I remember being surprised at the deliberate bending of two pins for every point the pattern was pinned down.
Alice in Oregon