Hello Achim

> I also own Knipling - nice program but again in a different
> price category and not very Mac-like

It runs on windows too. I just mentioned it to explain why I did not try
wether "The Gimp" could do something. After buying one of the first versions
of Knipling I volunteerd as a beta tester for later versions. I was not very
succesful in convincing to improve usability. Way too much and too complex
dialogs.

> And I think there's no
> development for it any more, so if it stops working in any
> OSX update we're lost (I just checked on their webpage and
> indeed the Mac version is discontinued already).

I suppose too few people bought it to pay a serious developers salary. Most
software developers need to make a living...

I never even considered a comercial version for my Bobbinwork. It isn't half
way what I imagined and you can see the estimated costs thus far from the
statistics. Estimated by a third party by counting code lines, not
includeing the time spent on the user guide what should not be
underestimated too. If I would consider to sell Bobbinwork in its current
state at the same rates for Knipling, I would need to sell 1800 copies for a
break even, just to get a developers salary and not even counting the costs
of running a business. I'm afraid the market is not that big. If no one pays
nor participates in developing, nothing happens anywhere. I'm not asking to
be pitied, I did what I did for other reasons.

Jo