In our case, since we do heritage demonstrations and try to depict the
lifestyle and products of that certain time period, many of the modern
materials(plastic and some of these nice displays that have been mentioned)
we are not able to use for our display.  We have(or are encouraged) to use
period materials for all our display.  What we do is pin(they had them back
then! HAHA) on a fabric board that is framed or pin the individual items to
the table cloth. We do this out of necessity as well, because gusts of wind
have thrown our pieces way too many times.  I have used glass pieces from
old frames to set over flat lace items(they had glass back then too) so that
no dirty fingers would find their way on my lace.  The public is usually
really good about respecting how we have our items for display.  Some
parents don't pay attention to what their kids are doing.  But being the
person I am(one who likes to touch and see with my hands like a kid in a
candy/toy store) I fully understand.  I will let them touch some of the lace
IF they don't have any noticeable food or crud on their hands.  I can't
resist the excitement on their face.  This goes for the lace that I am
working on at the time of the demo.  Right now it is black Bucks Point
edging.  Black hides better than white ;)  And I am not too concerned.  It
is for demo purposes.

But this is just how we handle display situations. FWIW

--
Mark, aka Tatman
website: http://www.tat-man.net