I place unframed laces flat on a table covered by a table-cloth size
of clear vinyl that hangs well over the edge. People can poke at them
all they like.  I can put my beverage mug on the table, too ;)
If you are concerned that someone would reach under the vinyl and take
the lace, secure the vinyl in some way.
I have a few lace pieces that can be handled, that wouldn't matter if
they went walkies. So far they  haven't.

Clear page protectors in a binder hold other flat laces. I tape the
opening of each page shut with magic tape to keep them contained. I
have the binder open for display, and people can flip through it to
see the range of laces. The binder contains assorted laces including
examples of tatting alongside bobbin lace, traditional regional lace
samples, a lace-trimmed hanky, animal motifs in different styles,
contemporary lace - anything I can think of that would interest the
people attending the demo.

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west
coast of Canada