Quoting Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> At 09:48 AM 11/29/00 +1100, Donovan Baarda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >G'day all,
[...]
> >IMHO, everything should be put into CVS, including webpages and
> >documentation. CVS gives you a revision history and backup archive.
[...]
> While I agree with you on most of this, documentation is another matter.
> If
> we put it in CVS, this forces everyone to use the same format (DocBook
> XML,
> TeX, etc.). Getting someone to write something is hard enough, but
> forcing
> them to use an unfamiliar format makes it nearly impossible. However, I
> think CVS would be useful for maintaining larger documents like guides
> and
> manuals.

Huh? Since when has CVS required specific file formats? You can check anything
into CVS, even binaries (though it's not very good at calculating binary
delta's and merges don't work too well). This means text, html, even MSWord
documents could be used (though not recomended). I believe a significant number
of SF projects are putting their whole SF website into CVS.

The only restriction would be that whatever gets checked in, is what gets
checked out... ie if someone checks in a document in Tex, a person who wants to
modify it will either have to also work in Tex, or convert it to something else
first.

--
ABO: finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for more information.