Hi James and others,

> One tricky thing I've found as a Windows & LEAF user is the wall of
> choice when it comes to picking which Linux distro to add to my WinXP
> machine for the purpose of building for LEAF.

  Well, we are developing a new branch for Lince based on GNAP (Gentoo
Network Appliances) They provide pretty much info regarding a build
environment (of course not just a Live CD :))

> Would it be feasible to create another LEAF branch but one for running
> buildtool and creating the disk image, not for actually being a
> firewall/router device? A bootable CD perhaps. Or a USB mass storage
> device. That would be perfect. A Bering-uClibc compile environment on a
> USB data key.

  Sure, as others have commented, the main problem is lack of time. In
our case we have decided to departure completelly from debian as all our
systems run Gentoo and we need to have a virtual machine just to keep
compiling for Lince :)

> And speaking of idiot images for CF/HDDs. If it's not possible to have a
> generic image because of the many different hardware configurations out
> there, would it not be possible to create an installer? Full blown
> distros have them. Maybe we then just hit the problem of if you need
> that sort of support why not just buy a home cable/DSL router and be
> done. :\

  Well, the first Lince version was more or less that without the
installer. You had all in an iso image and was quite easy to install (we
even made it bootable, you just needed to choose where to write the
image :))

  In our case, we didnt invest any time on hardware detection as all our
boxes are pretty much the same.

  So we are about to release the new version of Lince, but before we
have to solve a problem we have encountered with NAPI suppor on realtek
chipsets. It seems realtek doesnt use NAPI on 2.4 but we have found a
patch that includes that functionality. The problem is, after some
testing we dont see any difference with / without NAPI and we dont know
if the patch is wrong or we are doing something wrong and are not
activating this feature. Any help on that will accelerate the public
day :)

  Questions:

  * How do we know if NAPI is being used?
  * Is this patch working for anybody?
  * Will upgrading to kernel 2.6 solve this NAPI problem on realteks?

  Very thankful in advance. Regards

PS.- Realtek NAPI Patch ftp://ftp.ovh.net/made-in-ovh/kernel/

--
Jaime Nebrera - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Consultor TI - ENEO Tecnologia SL