On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Martin Hejl wrote:

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:45:32 +0200
From: Martin Hejl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: James Neave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: leaf-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] lets talk about something--anything!

Hi James,

Would it be feasible to create another LEAF branch but one for running
buildtool and creating the disk image, not for actually being a
firewall/router device? A bootable CD perhaps. Or a USB mass storage
device. That would be perfect. A Bering-uClibc compile environment on a
USB data key.
That would surely be possible (it has actually been discussed a long time ago to use knoppix or something like that as a base). But it mainly comes down to the fact that there's no way that we could do that without having significantly more manpower. And speaking for myself, I very much like to be able to work on leaf on my Linux desktop, without having to boot some special "build distro" (but this obviously only applies if one already has a "Linux desktop" to begin with).

And speaking of idiot images for CF/HDDs. If it's not possible to have a
generic image because of the many different hardware configurations out
there, would it not be possible to create an installer?
If somebody wrote one, indeed it would be possible. Remember, we're all doing this in our spare time, and there's only so much one can do in a given amount of time.

Full blown distros have them.
Indeed they do - but they're also maintained by more than a handful of people.

If I (or the others from the Bering uClibc crew) could work on LEAF during my day job, a lot of things would be possible that aren't possible right now, due to the lack of manpower.

I hope that clarifies a bit.

Martin

Hi Martin
For those who are running linux how about a UML or Xen image?
Still at this point manpower shortage is a big problem!

http://xen.sf.net/ redirects to home in Cambridge England.
http://www.xensource.com/ Provides comercial support for Xen.

Larry Platzek  [EMAIL PROTECTED]