To: <leaf-user@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] lets talk about something--anything!

Am Donnerstag 30 Juni 2005 00:08 schrieb Adam Niedzwiedzki:
Hi Eric,

Thanks for that, but (now don't laugh at me) that's the problem I have is
not even knowing where to begin with "compiling" it. I know my way around a
leaf machine with my eyes shut, installing modules,setting up just about
anything, I've rolled out around 8 leaf box's on various networks, but for
the life of me learning to setup a box to compile/build packages has me
lost

:(

I know there is documentation on it, but because I'm not a fluent *nix user
I'm lost with it...

Adam;

You need a Linux workstation; then you have to checkout buildtool from cvs, running "buildtool build buildenv" and patience . That way you get a complete setup to compile and build packages for Bering-uClibc or just to modify the
current setups (like ulogd).

I agree the buildtool* files, something you can think about as meta-files to
control the process of compiling and packaging, aren't easy to read and
understand for non-programmers - but I've made the experience, once you got
it, it is more or less just cut'n'paste to create new setups for lrp.

For your purpose getting a working buildtool environment and following Eric's
hint's below should allow you to build an ulogd fitting your needs...

(short recipe:
buildtool.pl build ulogd
change buildtool.mk for ulogd as noted by Eric
buildtool.pl buildclean ulogd
buildtool.pl build ulogd
fakeroot
buildpackage.pl --package=ulogd
scp to your route the new ulogd.lrp)

Don't hesitate to ask, if you're running into pb's - it will only help to
improve common knowledge (and if necessary) the documentation.

kp

Cheers
Ad