Hi Diane

Firstly when you buy a flash drive you will need one large enough to take
all the information you wish to put on it.  I use a 2Gb at the moment, but
my files are fairly small therefore I have room to expand.  I know there are
folk on the LUG who have huge Legacy files.  I would go for as big a drive
as you can afford, but I would avoid the very small ones.

I use my flash drive to keep on it my legacy family file which I call 'My
Family'.  I also keep my multimedia files on the same flash drive and a copy
of the legacy programme file as a backup.  This is the way I organize it:

I copy the entire contents of the Legacy File from my programmes file to the
flash drive.  This creates an identical 'Legacy' file which, in case of
emergencies I can copy back on to my hard drive in the Programmes folder.
There have been several discussions in the Legacy User Group as to the
usefulness backing up the legacy programme file.

I then create another folder which I call 'Family Tree'.  Inside this folder
I copy my Family tree Legacy Data file which I call 'My Family' - yours may
be called something else according to what you decided to call it.  I keep
all my multimedia files that I use with Legacy in two folder which I call
'My Family Photos' and 'My Family Sources'.  I copy both these folders and
their contents into the 'Family Tree' Folder.  I then create a shortcut of
the 'My Family' file to the desktop on my computer.

You then need to run the Legacy programme making sure it is pointing to the
file on your flash drive.  (When you have started Legacy, go to File<Open
Family File.  Where it has 'Look in', click on the little arrow, go to your
flash drive, click on family tree folder and you should find the 'My Family'
file.  If you click on it you will have opened the file on your flash drive.

Next, you need to make sure all your photo's, sources etc are found -
remember you have moved these to a new location on your flash drive also.
Do this by going to Options<Customize< and then the Locations tab.  Click on
'Test All Multimedia Paths' and make sure everything is pointing to the
multimedia files you have on your flash drive.

When you have gone through this process once, the files on your flash drive
should work first time, every time.  Earlier, we created a shortcut to your
desktop.  In future all you need to do is click on this and it will open
your files on the flash drive first time, in the Legacy programme.

When you come out of the Legacy programme, you should be prompted to save
the zipped version of the file.  Save the Legacy File and the Multimedia
file to somewhere on your PC - not on the flash drive (in case it fails, or
you lose it!)  You will then be able to recover everything.

Only when you are sure everything works, delete the old (in my case) 'My
Family File', 'My Family Photos' and 'My Family Sources' from the PC -
careful not to delete from the flash drive.  All your data is now on the
flash drive, and working, with no other duplicate files on your computers -
other than the zipped backups.

Hope this makes some kind of sense - please don't delete from your hard
drive until you are sure everything is working from your flash drive.

This process you only need to do once - from then on it's all plain sailing.

Best wishes

David S Brookes
Polesworth
N Warks