Please note that I fully agree with going to the original
source whenever possible.

However, if you have 6 books, all published in, say 1884 +/-
3 years, how do you determine which if any WAS the original
source?

As in: Clara Aardvark married in 1804 Elias Batterbum; their
daughter Inez married Clem Kadiddlehopper and their son
Sanford married Paula Retry.

This series is repeated in an Aardvark family history, in a
family history done by Elias' mother's brother, in a Retry
family history, and in one done by Clara's mother's uncle.
Clearly these authors had equal access to word-of-mouth and
probably knew all the parties named.  So /which/ can you
cite as the original?

Easier to put all of 'em in as a source at least until you
can find the documents that confirm/refute something.

Cheryl