On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 11:28:37 PM UTC-5, andyjim wrote:

> Also realized I don't have to title it until I'm darn good and ready.  And
> I don't have to ID it and time stamp it before writing either. I can do
> those later as well.

That's exactly right.  For myself, I don't like to have unlabeled nodes
floating around, because I forget pretty soon what they are supposed to be,
especially if there are more than one.  The ID will never change, so you
can put it in any time.  The "create" timestamp will just be whenever you
put it in.  That seems fine to me.

> All of that is a great help, yet my optimum situation would still be: no
> matter where I am in my system, when a new thought strikes, I just hit a
> hot key and start typing.  I don't have to locate and go to the outline
> where I want the new zettel, position the focus and the cursor where I want
> the new zettel.

The way I am picturing it, when you say "hit a hot key", I think that you
mean "create a new node".  I do that by hitting <CTRL>-I.   Isn't how you
do it already?  That gives you a new node.  Click in the body and start
typing, give it a name and get the id/timestamp later.

If you don't mean that, now would be a good time to say so.

For any node (zettel), where ever it is at the moment, that's not cast in
concrete.  You can always move it around later.  That doesn't change the id.

> Probably I don't even know yet where I will want it, but at any rate I
> don't want to think about any of that. Just hit a hot key and type. Take
> care of all the overhead later, after I've completed the thought.

Right, that's just what you get with <CTRL>-I.  The only difference is that
the node comes up with the cursor in the headline instead of the body.  If
that's what you really want, we could change current insert-id command (as
I think I said in my previous post) so that it creates a new node, inserts
the id and timestamp, and puts the cursor in the body for you.

> With The Archive zettelkasten software, for example, you hit command-N and
> start typing. That simple. In Mr. Luhmann's case, he pulls a new blank slip
> from his supply, directly to hand I presume, and starts writing.  Does the
> overhead later.
>

>From my reading, he immediately numbered it. Then he added links to other
likely zettels.  And then he got into the writing.  He didn't write these
slips quickly, but only after mulling over temporary notes he had taken
previously.  Maybe temporary notes are really what you have in mind here.
My own notion for that is to have a top-level node, maybe outside the
zettelkasten top-level node but in the same leo file.  These temporary
notes would all go there.

We could even have the hot-key put the new node into the temporary notes
section, if that's what you want.  From a programming point of view, there
would have to be a node with a fixed name, like "temporary notes".
Otherwise the command behind the hot key wouldn't know where to put the new
node.  If you don't want that, it would just create the new node right
where you are in the ZK, and you could move it yourself.  We already just
about have that, with <CTRL>-I.

> And people thought this pure genius!  Maybe it is.
>
> I'm not easy to get along with, am I?  And your proper response to me, I
> would think, will be, "Son, if you want things exactly your way like that,
> learn python and Leo yourself and learn how to make stuff like that happen!"

No, not necessarily.  This kind of back-and-forth is needed to home in on
how the thing should work. Well, there's going to be a limit to how much
time someone is willing to spend on a feature that you want one way but
they don't think it should work that way.  As long as we are figuring that
out together, to come up with features that could be fairly general, it's
all good.