On Saturday, February 29, 2020 at 9:59:33 AM UTC-5, andyjim wrote:

> [snip]
> On Saturday, February 29, 2020 at 12:28:27 AM UTC-5, Thomas Passin wrote:
> I think that's the solution for my use case. If, for example, as in The
> Archive, Command-N (no matter where I am at the moment) creates a new
> zettel, in the 'temporary notes' node, plants the id, and the 'created'
> timestamp, and shifts focus to the body, then I have a distraction-free way
> to immediately capture a new thought bubble. This will cleanly initiate the
> process of thought capture.  I might want a 'back button' to take me back
> where I was before this event, but that's another matter for another day.

Here is a modified version of the "Insert-Zettel" command.  It creates a
new node. inserts the id and creation date, and puts the cursor in the node
under them ready to type.  It doesn't locate the new node in a "temporary"
part of the outline - that could be added later.

"""Insert a node with id and creation timestamp strings"""
undoType = 'zettel-insert-node'
c.k.simulateCommand('insert-node')

w = c.frame.body.wrapper
oldSel = w.getSelectionRange()
w.deleteTextSelection()
s = ':id: ' + p.gnx
id_label = f':id: {p.gnx}\n'
time_string = ':created: ' + c.getTime(body=True) + '\n'

i = w.getInsertPoint()
w.insert(i, f'{id_label}{time_string}')

c.bodyWantsFocusNow()
c.frame.body.onBodyChanged(undoType, oldSel=oldSel)

To use this command, delete the old @setting node for inserting the id, and
then create a new @setting node with the headline

@command zettel-insert-node @key=Alt+F8

Paste the code above into this new node.  The new node has be a child of an
@settings node in either your MyLeoSettings.leo file or your ZK leo file,
so move it as needed.  Then reload the settings.  The hot-key will be
ALT-F8.

If you decide you'd rather leave the cursor in the node's headline instead,
change the next to last line so it reads like this:

#c.bodyWantsFocusNow()

This will turn the line into a comment and cause it not to be executed.