On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 10:29:54 PM UTC-5, andyjim wrote:

> In Thomas Passin's prototype, which I downloaded, 1st he types a title
> heading, 2nd a @rst subheading, with title (for Sphinx, which is fine), 3rd
> a @path heading, with title, 4th a @rst subheading, again with title, and
> that 4th node is our zettel.  Four new nodes, four titles before I start
> writing.  At least that is how I understand it (Thomas correct me).  For me
> that is a lot of overhead and distraction before I can start typing.  I
> don't even want to decide upon a title, because I may not know yet what the
> best title should be.  I just want to hit a hot key and start
> writing/thinking.  Title can come after I've completed the thought.
>
> I agree, and as I said earlier, I only used the @rst and @path in the node
names because I wanted a quick and dirty way to export the tree to the file
system.  And I only wanted that at the start because I wanted to see how it
integrated with my bookmark manager.

I'm not doing that any more, because I'm convinced that writing an exporter
will be pretty easy.  If you download the more recent example I posted,
which has only the node name in the headline, (and change to the latest
version of the insert-id command I also posted) the process goes like this:

1. <CTRL>-I to create a new node. Type the node title you want into the
headline.
2. Click in the body (in the future, we will move the cursor into the body
as part of the insert-id command if that's what people want).
3. <ALT-F8> to insert the id and timestamp at the same time.
4. Start typing.

You would have to do 1, 2 and 4 anyway, to get a new node.  So step 3 is
the only new step, and I've found it's very quick and becomes automatic
very soon.

Oh, by the way, to get the timestamp format you said you like, create a
node as a child of the @settings node in MyLeoSettings,leo.  Paste the
following into the node's headline (i.e., its name):

@string body-time-format-string = %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S

Or you can even put it into the leo file that has your zettelkasten (ZK).
Then reload the settings, using the Settings menu (Settings->Reload
Settings->Reload-All-Settings).

If you put it into the ZK leo file, it will affect the format of the
timestamp for only that leo file.  If you put it into MyLeoSettings.leo, it
will apply to all outlines.

I have already done this on my system.

If you want to type a lot of material into a node and then split it out
later, we can write a command to do that splitting for you, as long as you
are willing to insert some kind of separator between the sections to be
split.  If the first line after the separator was always a title for the
node, that would be even better.  Otherwise you would have to add a title
for each of the split-out nodes after they were created.

But don't forget, the published suggested way to get the most out of the
system is to think carefully about the contents of each zettel.  Creating
and naming a new node would be a small part of that effort.