On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 21:37 +1200, Simon Geard wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-04-25 at 23:36 +1000, Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
> > As mentioned in my previous email, I got a Sumsung 250GB SSD 960 EVO
> > M.2. Apparently the M.2 SSD drives are much faster than the SATA SSD
> > drives.
> > FYI, the device shows up as /dev/nvme0n1.
> >

> Depends on the drive. A SATA-based SSD over M.2 will not be
> significantly quicker than one over a regular SATA connection...
> they're limited more by the SATA controller than the method of
> connection.
>
> But an SSD drive using NVME (as yours is) will be a lot quicker,
> because the storage is wired straight to the PCI bus, without going
> through a SATA controller. Manufacturers claim about 4 times quicker,
> for what that's worth...
>
> However, they're also significantly more expensive - the 960 EVO you're
> using is priced at about 80% more than the SATA-based 850 Bruce is
> using. I'd love one - but not at that price point.
>
> Simon.

Hmm, maybe I'm getting mixed up in what M.2 actual means. I though M.2 was NVME.
BTW, before my new purchase, I never heard of M.2 or NVME. Its shows how out of
touch
I've been in regards to new hardware technology. It was the sales person
who suggested it after I initially when for the "regular" 850 EVO SSD.

These are the prices from the local store that I got my system from.
Samsung 250GB SSD, 960 EVO Series, m.2 (PCIE), Read up to 3200MB/s, Write up to
1500MB/s  $189AUD
Samsung 250GB SSD, 850 EVO Series, m.2 (SATA), Read up to 540MB/s, Write up to
500MB/s    $145AUD
Samsung 250GB SSD, 850 EVO Series, SATA III, 7mm, Read up to 540MB/s, Write up
to 520MB/s $144AUD
That's about a 30% difference.

Regards,
Wayne.