On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 09:41:34PM +1000, Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 21:37 +1200, Simon Geard wrote:
> > On Tue, 2017-04-25 at 23:36 +1000, Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
> > > As mentioned in my previous email, I got a Sumsung 250GB SSD 960 EVO
> > > M.2. Apparently the M.2 SSD drives are much faster than the SATA SSD
> > > drives.
> > > FYI, the device shows up as /dev/nvme0n1.
> > >

> > Depends on the drive. A SATA-based SSD over M.2 will not be
> > significantly quicker than one over a regular SATA connection...
> > they're limited more by the SATA controller than the method of
> > connection.
> >
> > But an SSD drive using NVME (as yours is) will be a lot quicker,
> > because the storage is wired straight to the PCI bus, without going
> > through a SATA controller. Manufacturers claim about 4 times quicker,
> > for what that's worth...
> >
> > However, they're also significantly more expensive - the 960 EVO you're
> > using is priced at about 80% more than the SATA-based 850 Bruce is
> > using. I'd love one - but not at that price point.
> >
> > Simon.
>
> Hmm, maybe I'm getting mixed up in what M.2 actual means. I though M.2 was
> NVME.
> BTW, before my new purchase, I never heard of M.2 or NVME. Its shows how out
> of touch
> I've been in regards to new hardware technology. It was the sales person
> who suggested it after I initially when for the "regular" 850 EVO SSD.
>
> These are the prices from the local store that I got my system from.
> Samsung 250GB SSD, 960 EVO Series, m.2 (PCIE), Read up to 3200MB/s, Write up
> to 1500MB/s  $189AUD
> Samsung 250GB SSD, 850 EVO Series, m.2 (SATA), Read up to 540MB/s, Write up
> to 500MB/s    $145AUD
> Samsung 250GB SSD, 850 EVO Series, SATA III, 7mm, Read up to 540MB/s, Write
> up to 520MB/s $144AUD
> That's about a 30% difference.
>
> Regards,
> Wayne.

Thanks to both of you for this thread - I had assumed that only
DataCenter-grade products (as in "unaffordable") were nvme, and those
(of course) have ridiculous prices.  But I had also been puzzled
about why the few M2 SSDs that I looked at on my main supplier's
website mentioned 'SATA' - now I understand.

So, if I do get a new box to attack my backlog of photos, I guess
I'll want to get a SATA SSD for the system and an M2 nvme for /home
where the photos live while I'm manipulating them.  Did I ever
mention that writing in gimp-2.9.4 is slow ?

Cheers
ĸen
--
I live in a city. I know sparrows from starlings.  After that
everything is a duck as far as I'm concerned.  -- Monstrous Regiment