On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 21:41 +1000, Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
> Hmm, maybe I'm getting mixed up in what M.2 actual means. I though
> M.2 was NVME.
> BTW, before my new purchase, I never heard of M.2 or NVME. Its shows
> how out of touch
> I've been in regards to new hardware technology. It was the sales
> person
> who suggested it after I initially when for the "regular" 850 EVO
> SSD.

M.2 is the physical connection... your SSD is on a single small circuit
board that plugs into the motherboard, instead of emulating a 2.5" HDD.
But most of them are still operating over a SATA interface, with their
performance limited to that of the SATA spec - as such, the performance
is no different from a traditional 2.5" SATA SSD.

So since SATA is the bottleneck, newer M.2 SSDs (and supporting
motherboards) are switching to NVME instead. And as I understand it,
that basically puts the device directly onto the PCIe bus instead,
giving way more bandwidth.

(Just to further confuse things, there's also a U.2 spec, which is
basically a 2.5" sized drive, but running over PCIe instead of SATA.
They seem to be pretty rare still, but the key features seem to be a)
it's hot-swappable, and b) for a given level of tech, the larger
physical package can fit more storage in...)

> These are the prices from the local store that I got my system from.
> Samsung 250GB SSD, 960 EVO Series, m.2 (PCIE), Read up to 3200MB/s,
> Write up to 1500MB/s  $189AUD
> Samsung 250GB SSD, 850 EVO Series, m.2 (SATA), Read up to 540MB/s,
> Write up to 500MB/s    $145AUD
> Samsung 250GB SSD, 850 EVO Series, SATA III, 7mm, Read up to 540MB/s,
> Write up to 520MB/s $144AUD
> That's about a 30% difference.

Prices for the NVME models are clearly more competitive in Australia
then... the figure I gave was based on the prices (of the 500Gb models)
on one of the NZ price comparison sites.

Still, you can see the performance difference with your numbers... the
960 is *much* quicker... and given the much smaller price difference,
yeah, paying an extra $45 would definitely be worth it.

Simon.