On Tue, 2017-04-25 at 23:36 +1000, Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
> As mentioned in my previous email, I got a Sumsung 250GB SSD 960 EVO
> M.2. Apparently the M.2 SSD drives are much faster than the SATA SSD
> drives.
> FYI, the device shows up as /dev/nvme0n1.

Depends on the drive. A SATA-based SSD over M.2 will not be
significantly quicker than one over a regular SATA connection...
they're limited more by the SATA controller than the method of
connection.

But an SSD drive using NVME (as yours is) will be a lot quicker,
because the storage is wired straight to the PCI bus, without going
through a SATA controller. Manufacturers claim about 4 times quicker,
for what that's worth...

However, they're also significantly more expensive - the 960 EVO you're
using is priced at about 80% more than the SATA-based 850 Bruce is
using. I'd love one - but not at that price point.

Simon.