Yes, Bill.  Although I live (and shop) in WA where the tax rate is around 8%
(part of that is county and city taxes which vary from local jurisdiction to
jurisdiction--something like anywhere from 7.6 to 8.2.  Perhaps Dave Laird
can quote chapter and verse.  :-)  On top of that, there are some items that
are not taxed at all.

So, while the x.x5's and the x.x9's may make a difference, in the end, it's
really just about a crap shoot (for those "sensitive persons," the term
"crap shoot" refers to a gambling game--not a bodily function) since what
the tax adds on could end in any number from 0-9.

There might be some ways of discovering a different probability than the
1/100 I quoted, but for all practical purposes (like comparing to election
results that come in a power of 10), I think my original analysis still
holds.

In other words, I agree that it isn't quite random.  But it's close enough
for what I was doing.

Lowell C. Savage
It's the freedom, stupid!
Gun control: tyrants' tool, fools' folly.