Good morning, Frank!

Frank Reichert wrote:

> Actually, I'm happy to see Connie posting here once again -- it's
> a refreshing input to some of the other ones that we have grown
> to expect. She seems to place real issues in a context in which
> Libertarian principles can be called into question perhaps, but
> at least re-examined. Some of what she wrote in concern for her
> children and grandchildren is certainly on the minds of many
> today, and somehow, Libertarians have to find a good way to
> address these issues in a way in which ordinary people can not
> only comprehend, but come to terms with as a better way to end
> some of the attacks upon America's youth, and parental concerns
> in such context.

Connie can post'em with the best of them, in my opinion. Although she and
I have known one another for over a decade, we don't always agree
precisely in all things, but we still agree in principle.

> Although Libertarians believe that the right to 'keep and bear
> arms' is a fundamental right, it is not always a practical
> choice.  Usually doing so might create more problems than the
> original problem called for in the first place.  This is
> particularly germane when we get into the question of defending
> our fundamental liberties, when the government is taking them
> away with such things as the Patriot Act.

HMPH! I think The Patriot Act is a power grab. Although they are mute
about how and when they inventory the personal information about "known
terrorists" they are also grabbing the personal identification about
ordinary people, including travel habits, credit card information and god
knows what else. According to a friend, who works as an database engineer,
they have apparently put a LOT of money into data points at airports, bus
stations and banks. I am hard-pressed to figure out how they would manage
all this data flow, the fact remains they are gathering a LOT of
information about ordinary citizens, all without our consent.

[SNIP]

> I guess what I am trying to say is that Connie might have posted
> this facetiously, in that she seems to affirm that she has a
> right to defend not only herself with firearms, but also her
> family as well.  I guess  too the reason I suggest this might
> have faciscious overtones, is because she probably realizes, as
> most of us do, that we lack the firepower individually to
> confront the federal gestapo, and probably drug dealers and their
> turf wars in the context of defending ourselves!  And believe me,
> that must always be a huge consideration specifically in our
> inner cities today when you can be arrested for defending
> yourself when you are holding a loaded firearm!

A car prowler here in Spokane recently threatened a homeowner with a
baseball bat and got himself shot by a righteously mad homeowner. Now the
car prowler is on the television live from the hospital claiming the guy
who shot him was in the WRONG. The trick to shooting people who are
breaking into your car or home or are molesting children in the
neighborhood is simply leave no survivors. It's a bitter truth, but
well-established that dead perpetrators cannot hold press conferences or
sue you in court.

On the other hand, if a uniformed member of the law enforcement community
pulls down on you, you'd better do what they say, *especially* if you have
a firearm in your possession. I can speak volumes about how cops react
when they find out an "ordinary citizen" has firearms and isn't afraid to
use it in self defense.

> This, and perhaps other ones similar to this, are the reasons why
> Libertarians and the Libertarian Party seeks to find political
> solutions to addressing the Drug Problem, particularly insofar as
> America's youth are concerned.  We seek not political solutions,
> but defer to social ones in which concerned individuals (and
> there are a great many of them around honestly) can do much more
> than laws, jails, courts, and police can possibly do to address
> the core issues surrounding why we find ourselves in this
> stinking mess today!

A well-armed, informed and responsible citizen is ALWAYS able to do more
than the bureaucrats. The bureaucrats are paid to talk pieties, where the
ordinary citizens have no time for such crap, IMHO.

> I guess we have to face the fact that we live in a sick society,
> mainly from top to bottom.  And government isn't going to repair
> any of the damage that it itself has created over the course of
> several decades.

After all, WE, the People, created it, right? 8-)

> You know, at my age, I wonder why I keep doing all of this?  I
> really do. Yes, I too get tired.  I get tired until I see
> individuals like Bill Denman of Sandpoint, now well into his 80's
> addressing a crowd of people clustered in a room groping for
> answers.  Of course, he ought to have some time and space to
> enjoy his later years, as many of us would like to placate
> ourselves to believe, and I am guilty of that as well.

Well, there is the alternative view, one which I don't know if Bill has an
opinions or not, but one well worth consideration. Since the abject
failure of the educational systems, and destruction of the middle-class
family structure (by which most of us learned answers) by the bureaucrats,
and most recently, the next generation is looking for answers. Who is
better-qualified to teach from experience than the outgoing generation?
Personally, I've heard Bill Denham speak a long, long time ago, and he is
both informed and informative, when viewed from the perspective of a
20-something with little to no experience in dealing with "The Machine".

> This isn't a matter about firearms and guns exactly.  It's
> probably more about doing the right thing, and I believe many
> Americans are up to the challenge of dealing with it all.  It's
> time we give our own people some credit on what we can do for
> ourselves for a change without facing 'jail time'.

I agree, to a point. I simply don't trust anyone that appears on
television. Far too many lies and misconceptions are being broadcast in
the name of the evening news, and nothing is what it appears to be. It's
time to educate our own children, free of the lies and misconceptions of
an educational system owned, lock, stock and barrel by the news media, and
it is time to stand up and say loudly, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going
to take this crap anymore!"

Dave
--
Dave Laird ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
The Used Kharma Lot

 Fortune Random Thought For the Minute
Put cats in the coffee and mice in the tea!