On 15-Feb-05, Conster wrote:

 s>> And before 1934 (?), morphine, heroin, and cocaine were available at
 s>> your local pharmacy, no prescription needed. Drug abuse was a minor
 s>> problem in those days.

 C> Says who??? Just because it wasn't documented, or maybe it was. But
 C> before I see such statements, I would really like to see some numbers.
 C> I would think it was difficult. Many, many people were addicted to
 C> Labdanum and opiates.  Pot was a felony, while these drugs were at the
 C> same time misdemeanors.....

Not on a national level. Opiates were controlled by the Harrison Act around
1930, but cannabis was overlooked until 1937.

 C> Thus, my point, the argument about drug usage, ...

I never mentioned drug use, just manufacturing and marketing.