"Lowell C. Savage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in part:

>You are correct that the rank-and-file is unhappy about the growing size
of
>government and some of the reasons for the bloat.  But I suspect that
there
>was a similar discontent regarding FDR's flip but that some Dems at that
>time stayed with FDR out of party loyalty.  There could be some of the
same
>dynamic occurring with the Reps now.

Could be (both cases), and that would be interesting.  It would demonstrate
the efficacy of political activity -- that it's possible to get into
positions of trust and then use that trust to produce a lasting change in
direction.  (It'll take a few more years to see if that's the case with
Republicans.)  That would be all the more reason to encourage libertarians
to get involved in conventional politics.

In Your Sly Tribe,
Robert