Travis Pahl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> asked:

>> >You are correct that the rank-and-file is unhappy about the growing
size
>> of
>> >government and some of the reasons for the bloat.  But I suspect that
>> there
>> >was a similar discontent regarding FDR's flip but that some Dems at
that
>> >time stayed with FDR out of party loyalty.  There could be some of the
>> same
>> >dynamic occurring with the Reps now.

>> Could be (both cases), and that would be interesting.  It would
demonstra>te
>> the efficacy of political activity -- that it's possible to get into
>> positions of trust and then use that trust to produce a lasting change
in
>> direction.  (It'll take a few more years to see if that's the case with
>> Republicans.)  That would be all the more reason to encourage
libertarian>s
>> to get involved in conventional politics.

>Can I get an exact number of years you are willing to give them before
>you will admit they are not going to get us any closer to a
>libertarian ideal?

The answer's probably no, but you'll need to specify what you mean by
"they".  Do you mean libertarians in general?  Libertarians involved in
conventional politics?  Politics (taken as a plural noun)?  Republicans in
general?  The current Republican leadership?  The Republican rank-and-file?

In Your Sly Tribe,
Robert