Hmm.  That's an interesting take.  I will say, however, that what you are
looking at is a move away from the middle--the opposite of the cases I was
discussing.  In both the FDR and GWB cases (if, indeed such is happening in
the latter) it was a move to peel off support from the other side.

Lowell C. Savage
It's the freedom, stupid!
Gun control: tyrants' tool, fools' folly.