On Tue, 2025-09-02 at 21:53 -0700, Frank Reichert wrote:
> Good evening, Dave!
>
> I share your pain.  And you'll soon see why.
>
> Dave Laird wrote to everyone...
>
> > This is not America. This is some other-worldly country, that George W.
> > Bush, Jr. fantasized along with his ascension to power; this is a pit of
> > iniquity where his imminence could not be bothered to leave his vacation
> > to attend to the funeral of thousands of innocent people in the Deep
> > South.

How many congresscritters left their vacation? Oh yeah, only those who
had homes there and lost their homes. And why should *any* president go
about mugging up funerals?

> This is a den of vipers where he sits idly by watching his
> > butt-buddy bureaucrats intone pious-sounding phrases, moving their lips
> > but not their hearts.

Good to know you can see into the hearts of people you don't know or
have the opportunity to be around. ;)

> I notice that CBS News tonight reflected on the fact that not
> many of those who were enduring this catastrophe were white.
> Most of the white population had either already evacuated, or
> made arrangements early on to to avoid the worst.

So what are you saying? Surely you don't suggest racism on the part of
the hurricane? And those who chose to stay chose to stay.

>  Almost the
> entire gauntlet of those desperate souls were black, African
> Americans, most of which were impoverished.  Even more so now
> than before.
>
> Why did it take five wrenching days to get food, water, and
> immediate assistance while thousands perished?  Several US
> military bases surround the area, including Corpus Christi, TX,
> Biloxi, Mississippi.

Well, those places are not storehouses for such items. While it is no
great secret it is also not well know that most of our MRE and water
resources are in fact stored at sea, not in every base in the US.

> It was also pointed out on CBS News tonight, that only a small
> fraction of Louisiana's National Guard were present to respond to
> this catastrophe.  The rest, including much of the State National
> Guard's equipment were in Iraq!

Hogwash.

Of the approximately 11,000 guardsmen in LA, approximately 3000 are
deployed (and due to return in the next month). Of the remaining,
approximately 3K were active and waiting prior to the storm's arrival,
and 6K were on standby. Three days prior to the arrival of Katrina,
10,000 National Guardsmen had been deployed ready to help.

News flash: pretty much all of the equipment that would be useful in
this disaster would be useless in Iraq and thus not shipped there. Iraq
isn't exactly wet.

Also, while you don't hear about it on the press because they don't get
to whine about it, guardsmen were stranded and out of communication when
the storm and flood destroyed communication lines as well as
transportation routes.

> You're right about one important thing as well.  As you just
> pointed out, this amounts to a failure on the magnitude and scale
> of most third world countries, that even respond much more
> quickly, and seem to have more energy to save the living than our
> own Federal government displayed in this tragedy.

So uhh how fast was the response to the Tsunami then? Oh that's right it
took weeks.

> The stench of the lying bodies on the streets and bridges in New
> Orleans matches nicely with the stench of the present
> Administration in power over the executive branch of this
> prostitute government.  I am deeply appalled by it all, and I
> don't particularly care what people might think of me as a result
> of my criticism.
>
> It was mentioned just earlier tonight on a documentary, that the
> paltry sum appropriated by Congress for immediate aid to the
> victims in this tragedy is about as much as it takes to float the
> US invasion of Iraq for one week!  I guess we know where the
> hearts and minds of the current Administration lie.

Sure, they knew a disaster of this magnitude was coming and chose to not
do anything about it. Pshaw.

> > People had foretold what has happened in New Orleans years and years ago,
> > and despite all the high-technology and verbiage from Homeland Security's
> > Alan Chertok, no one bothered to ever take those warnings seriously. No
> > one bothered to even examine the prodigious number of learned studies that
> > indicated what would happen if a Category 5 hurricane hit New Orleans,
> > even a glancing blow. No one in government even bothered to examine the
> > predictions about Biloxi, many of which were mentioned here, in this
> > humble place, as recently as three years ago. Too little, too late.

Actually, the Army CoE *wanted* to build those levees to support a cat5
hurricane but years and years and years ago (you know when they were
built) they were told that a cat 3 build was sufficient. It would have
cost many billions more back then. This was in the late sixties. I'm
sure somehow though you'll blame the current administration for it.

The levees were built in response to a cat 4 on the verge of cat 5 that
hit NO in 1965 known as Betsy.  Look it up if you like, it was the last
hurricane to bear this name. Katrina will probably be retired as well.
So the idea of a cat4-cat5 hurricane flooding out NO was prominent in
the minds of all concerned in the late sixties. If you want to blame an
administration, blame that one. If the current administration only
allows funding for a cat 3 protection level after this one, you can
blame the next one on this it if you like.

Just for further reference, the projects involved in the flood
protection of the area came from the Flood Control Act of 1965. Further
projects on it came about by the Water Resources Development Acts of
1974, 1986, 1990, and 1992. The latest round of major projects had
approximately three quarters of a billion spent on it. According to the
project managers, the max they had the capacity to handle in 2006 if
given the funding for it is about 20 million. That was back in May. Why?
Well short of a big storm, you can't just rebuild a levy. In 2004, the
capability of the local area was 6.6 million.

The project (for the area where the main breach occurred) was not
targeted for completion until 2018, it was 80% complete.

The billions that have been spent on flood control since 1910 (or even
1965) in New Orleans goes to the continual pumping of the water table
and natural water collection results out of the bowl. Remember, the city
mostly lies below sea level.

Let us say the current administration and Congress had increased the
funding by a factor of ten, a full order magnitude. What difference
would it have made? None. How about a factor of 100? Again, none. A
conservative estimate of what it would have cost in today's dollars to
rebuild those levees to withstand a cat 5 and accompanying flooding is
15 billion before the government gets involved. With the government
involved, figure a good 30 billion.

And of course, we must also remember that the main responsibility for
immediate disaster response lies with the state and local governments,
as it should be.

Indeed, the Army Corps of Engineers did have a project set up for next
year to study what it would take to move to cat4-5 protection.  But
those are considered "100 year storm intensities", and clearly they felt
they had the time. Given the last one was in 1965, I can understand
their point.

> My guess is that we haven't seen or heard the freight train
> coming down the tunnel at full speed as a result of this tragedy
> either.  Six refineries have been knocked out.  The Shrub wants
> to offer millions of barrels of petroleum from the Nation's
> Strategic Petroleum Reserve.  Problem is, we no longer have the
> refinery capacity to process any more petroleum than is already
> available.  The price of petroleum actually dropped today on the
> world market.

Why? Because certain countries have increased their output as a result
of the storm, because more than the US has/is/is considering releasing
crude from it's reserves, and because the price was artificially high
due to speculation. Remember, oil is a commodity and is traded just like
other commodities on the futures market. Oil has been prepped for a fall
for a while now. Its price was/is artificially high in that it was not
representative of the relationship between supply and demand. Germany is
considering releasing 2 million barrels per day for the next 30 days,
and that is just crude.

But the refinery bit is partly true. One of the measures being taken is
a significant relaxing of the environmental controls placed on
refineries. With these out of the picture, most refineries can increase
throughput significantly. Further, the relaxation of the environmental
requirements also re-opens many refineries from overseas as gasoline
suppliers-- ones we lost last year due to the increase in restrictions.
Note that it takes about 10-15 days for gasoline/oil to reach the US
form Europe.

Gas prices have also started to fall, right on time. We've reached the
end of the "driving season", and thus a drop in demand that naturally
occurs this time of year resulting in lower prices.

No conspiracy needed, no greedy oil barons needed. Just plain natural
processes.

Also, as oil companies "take stock" of the damage, the damage to the
majority of refineries and rigs is less than initially thought. In fact,
you may have seen the "oil rig" banging up against that bridge. In
truth, it wasn't an oil rig, but a hotel platform. The realization that
the damage was not as extensive as initially thought to be, combined
with the pre-hurricane run-up finishing off, and the release of oil
reserves from around the world, and the increase in production coming
from the Saudis, a lowering of oil prices is expected. If they didn't
start to come down even a little bit, I'd be suspicious.

> The problem is, one third of this nation's
> domestic capacity to deliver and refine petroleum was wiped out
> in this catastrophe.  We have not built a new refinery in the US
> for over three decades!

Due to government meddling, I'll point out. Meddling that has been going
on for decades. Mainly due to environazis.

> > Despite my years of being somewhat jaundiced about government in general,
> > I will never look at the federal government in quite the same way again.

I sincerely hope everyone reconsiders a lot of things. Among the the
wisdom of building a major city in a bowl that sits below sea level on
the hurricane coast. Not to mention living there.

Also among them people need to slough off the expectation they got from
Hollywood about what can be done. There are these pesky rules called
"the law of physics as we know them." And they wreaked havoc on us this
time. Why people think the Army or anyone could make food, water, and
people movers suddenly appear in any given spot is beyond me. Even
people who should know better.  Sure, the movies make it seem instant,
but reality is far from that illusion. It doesn't matter how many air
bases or army bases are within flight distance. What matters are where
the supplies are. If the food supplies to handle that are in say
California, you still have to get them from California to the air bases.

I've served with the units in LA, probably something none of you can
say. I know what they can and can not do. When I was at Fort Hood, TX we
had to get our MRE supplies from Oregon and ... New Orleans. These
supplies are stored at sea and on the coasts to provide rapid overseas
deployment capability of mass quantities. Any store-piles in LA are
gone. Nearby didn't have them because their supply was in the flood zone
and surrounding areas. They were shipped by truck because more urgent
assets were needed to be shipped by air. Assets such as Swift boats and
reconnaissance equipment, as well as helicopters.

Despite all the conspiracy nuts claiming to the contrary over the last
several decades, we have never had the capability to control the
supplies and infrastructure in the event of an emergency like this. A
president can issue all the EOs his or her heart desires; it make no
difference. We don't have detailed hi-res satellite surveillance of the
US. So we had no realistic reconnaissance of the area. It took 3 days to
get satellite images. That said, the Army did in fact ship and deploy
drones as best they could.

To give many of you who have no clue, it takes an active duty army unit
a day just to muster. That does not include vehicle prep and readiness.
I'm talking an active, otherwise prepped for immediate deployment combat
unit.

New Orleans was a city of half a million people. Moving millions of MREs
takes a lot more time than a few hours. Between roads not being
traversable and not knowing in advance localized ground transport comes
to worse than a standstill. It comes down to "crap go back and find
another route".

With choppers you have longer flight times than people realize. He big
ones are interminably slow and don't have the kind of capacity we'd need
to do what many claim we could have. Even if every chopper in the US
Army, Navy, and Coast Guard were just feet out of the danger zone ready
when the storm hit, and they moved in immediately as it was safe to do
so, covering that much terrain and performing rescues of this magnitude
is not possible.

The ACE *had* three DTOS (Deployable Tactical Operations System) units
in the area. All three were destroyed in the storm. These are the
command centers for disaster, and for this area specifically hurricane,
recovery operations. They are the command and control. With these gone,
a major link in the chain was destroyed. BTW, this system (a national
system) consists primarily and centrally of tractor trailer trailers.
Choppers won't handle these.

Also a chief priority in a flood situation is doing what you can to
*stop* the flooding, or at least slow it down. It took a day to
determine there were levee breaches.

> Boy, you got that one right!  But it's probably not over by a
> long shot either.  Wait for the economic costs to hit home!  And
> it will.  A major slice of the deep water ports that carry this
> nation's cargo transit the region, including food essentials.  It
> was predicted just today that we will be paying a LOT MORE in the
> coming weeks and months as this cargo is diverted elsewhere.

Actually the lion's share of Gulf Coast and specifically NO ports are
for goods from Latin America. The primary imports that come though the
Port of N.O. are: chemicals, cocoa beans, coffe, and petroleum. In
roughly that order, IIRC.

Exports, however, are another matter.

> And, then there's the oil thing again.  Just today, the cost for
> ocean transit of petroleum to the US has DOUBLED!  Now, I wonder
> just how something like that happened, don't you?

No, not really. It happens every year at this time. It's called
"hurricane season". Insurance companies have increased rates for
hurricane seasons a pretty bog-standard way of life. The other massive
contributor to the increase in trans-oceanic crude shipping costs is the
surge in demand for the ships. We may well find ourselves in a ship
shortage. Europe ahs already started booking rather large shipments.
Naturally, a sharp rise in demand of a limited supply will result in
higher costs. Nothing sinister there, Frank.

> > They are hideously-inadequate at the job of protection, and even worse at
> > responding like decent human beings in the face of an unprecedented
> > disaster.

The irony of that statement is practically beyond belief.

> > Now, let's see how many of the countries where U.S. forces have responded
> > to help others in need in the past will send help. Let's just wait and see.
>
> I guess the UN will likely come in to help bail us out!  Wouldn't
> that be a humiliating outcome, but probably predictable under our
> current leadership's mindset.  I'm not about to discount that
> possibility either.  It likely WILL happen.

Actually, Sri Lanka (remember them?) has offered help, the Saudis have,
even Argentina. No humiliation involved. The UN won't help out, ad it
has nothing to do with who is or isn't POTUS. We're too big for them to
help. Seriously. Do some digging into the UN rules and requirements.
California could shake off it's entire coast and the UN wont do anything
beyond words and gratitude they still have their HQ on the East Coast.
Besides, they don't have the funding or ability to handle something of
this magnitude, and don't get involved unless they get all the credit.
They are an agency bereft of anything decent. They've been finally
caught with their pants down and their member somewhere it shouldn't be.
As a result they need all the good press they can get.

The US will be fine w/o UN help and the UN knows it. So what they'll do
is offer token assistance in the form of some bodies, likely their flood
experts, some token water purification and storage stuff. They'll take
the little bit of good press that gets them and be content, knowing full
well the US is more than capable of providing water storage and
purification supplies well in advance of the time it would take for the
UN to get theirs here. We'll see interviews with UN flood people a few
times, and that'll largely be it. America knows more about floods than
Europe realizes though, so there won't be much use/need for them.

> > Most of the so-called evacuees were good tax-paying God-fearing citizens
> > who went to work each day, paid their bills and tried to live good lives.
> > No one, not even scurrilous the crumb-snatchers of society, deserve to be
> > treated as poorly as our government are treating people in New Orleans,
> > Biloxi and Gulfport. And it's being done in MY name, YOUR name, and in the
> > name of good government.
>
> When talking about the US Federal government, it is an oxymoron
> to call it 'good'.

Again, immediate disaster relief is necessarily in the hand of the local
government. I'll argue against the fed taking that over too. So should
you, IMO.

Another thing people need to and should take out of this (again), is
that reliance on the government for such things is folly of monumental
proportions. I'll say right now that if I were in Bush's shoes I'd have
waited for the governor(s) to request the help. Hindsight be damned you
likely would have done no different.

Had Bush "jumped on it" like you and others claim he "should have" and
it was not the massive disaster it is, there would have been claims of
"wagging the dog" and "mugging for voter approval", assertions of him
trying to get focus of of Iraq, and all manner of such things. Many of
them likely from this very forum.

Now, time for me to relay a little bit of media witness here. Last
night, Bill O'Reilly had a woman from NO on. Was she complaining about a
lack of food. No. She was complaining the food was cold. A lot. She was
complaining about getting cold MREs. I was stunned. Absolutely stunned.
I was not stunned that O'Reilly let it go, as he was too focused on
attacking the response.

The brutal truth of such conditions are that feeding thousands is
secondary to rescuing those who will die from the flood waters. Perhaps
you feel different, but in my case I much prefer to go hungry and even
thirsty for a few days while others who are in more dire straights than
I get help.

I much prefer my dead rotting body be left alone while others are saved.
I much prefer my flooded store or house to burn down or be fully looted
if it means more people drown. Sadly, most people in the press and
pundits on mailing lists never seem to think about it.

The primary goal of the rescue and disaster recovery persons is to get
people out of the danger area first. Anything less is sheer stupidity.
It is a form of triage - determining who is worst off, who can be saved
and going from there. For battlefield medics (for example) and doctors,
that sometimes means turning away from the sucking mortal chest wound to
fix a compound fracture.

In this case, the priority was and should be, to people trapped on
rooftops, people trapped under rooftops (where you can determine they
are there), and so on. It does not go to looters, it does not go to
shipping food instead of search and rescue equipment. This hurricane hit
a massively large area.

Sure, everyone is focusing on NO, and with good reason. But the area
outside of NO was hit "like normal". New Orleans is so bad because it
was built BELOW SEA LEVEL, and because contrary to popular belief
everything is not built to withstand the worst conceivable disaster.

There is not a damned thing the current OR prior administration could
have done to prevent this tragedy. Nothing. The scale of such an
undertaking (moving to cat 5 protection levels) is monstrous. Iraq or no
Iraq, it would not have been done, it could not have been done. Six
months ago I doubt anyone here would have supported him if Bush wanted
to do it. Be honest with yourselves. You know you would not have. I
would not have, and I can admit that. I wouldn't support it today.

At best  we'd have dismissed it as political pandering, as a massive
pork barrel project. A Bush attempt to create more government jobs to
prop up a sagging economy for political gain for the 2006 congressional
elections. You know it to be true.

It would have involved kicking thousands out of their homes to make way
for the new stuff. It would have involved an expenditure of billions.
Hundreds. Why? It would have involved changing the SPH (Standard Project
Hurricane) to a cat 5. This would have mandated ALL hurricane protection
projects get upgraded. The cost to do that is staggering at best.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lch/research/lahurclimo2.htm is a good source of
data for those truly interested.

I would not support that today, let alone six months ago or last year,
war or no war.

While we are at it, how many of you know that most of Idaho and parts of
Eastern Washington are in a high risk earthquake zone? We are, in fact,
in the highest risk rating levels. Same risk rating as Los Angeles.
Should we mandate and have the government fund earthquake protection
preparedness and resistance to the levels of California? I suspect the
answer will be no. And with good reason.

We all want to sit around and blame somebody, and as Libertarians we
want to blame the government. Some things we can lay at government's
feet. Their incessant interference with the economy has lead to
increased poverty. Their incessant interference with the economy has
lead to a bloated government that for some reason (government
propaganda) the people think can work magic in disaster relief. (I've
been a disaster relief worker. That has *never* been the case.)

The government's incessant interference has contributed heavily to the
population density of large cities (P&Z primarily). Incessant government
support and funding of turning New Orleans area into a city lead
directly to half a million people living in a coastal city that was
below sea level.

Indeed, the very existence of the levees exacerbated the problem. The
very nature of the levees increases the water level of the areas,
leading to a higher levee being needed. It is a positive feedback loop -
and a black hole for money. The first levees only needed to be, and
were, 3 feet high. AS of a week ago they were about 17 feet high.

"""
Louisiana has few barrier islands; therefore, the problem of
overpopulation slowing down evacuation times, e.g. Florida, does not
exist. New Orleans has high evacuation times due to a relative lack of
major highways out of the city and dense population...I-10 is pretty
much the only route of escape. But we do have our own unique problems. A
lack of coastal irregularities and a general smooth Gulf of Mexico
bottom make Cameron Parish ideal for maximum wave damage along its
shores (Morgan). The land in lower sections of Southern Louisiana is
slowly sinking and at the same time, quickly eroding away.  In some
places, the loss can be as much as a foot a year!

The construction of levees around the Mighty Mississippi over the
centuries has led to a rise in the level of the river, which could make
a crevasse through the river not merely a nuisance, but a
life-threatening fact of life.  Each increase of the height of the river
multiplies the havoc that could ensue if a break should occur in its
banks.
"""  -- The NOAA (see link above).

So you see, it is a never ending struggle of (geometrically!) increasing
intensity. Had the government not subsidized this, I seriously doubt the
situation would have been as dire due to far less people being there, or
people/industry being much smarter about their construction and
preparedness.

Incessant government subsidization of living in areas that are not only
at risk for extreme environmental and natural disasters, but experience
them regularly, has lead to a false belief that "it is ok" to live in
these areas. The Earthquake State, Hurricane States (The AKA Hurricane
Coast), and "Tornado Alley" are all places that would have far less
people living there if it were not for the government paying to rebuild
all the time.

Now I am not claiming the government should say "don't live there", I'm
just saying it should not pay for the losses that *will* be incurred. I
am saying that those of us in Idaho, Alaska, Montana, Texas, etc. should
not be paying for the rebuilding of New Orleans, or the other areas hit.

If the oil industry wants refineries there and the ports to supply them,
they can build them. If the coffee industry wants a port there, they can
pay for it. If Joe Six pack wants to live there, he can pay for it. If
they can't afford it, they can go elsewhere. In fact, I hear tell from
friends down there that a massive portion of those who left are not
going to return.

Indeed, I'd say that outside of that most will not return. It will
likely take a good 8 weeks to pump out the water. That is the earliest
reconstruction could begin. Then there will be months before significant
population needs and infrastructure can be established. By this time,
most who evacuated or were evacuated will have found a home elsewhere.
Texas just significantly grew in population. And remember, Hurricane
season ain't over. While Lee and Maria are not currently threatening
land or areas already hit, we still have much of the season left, and
Katrina wasn't considered as dangerous as it became in it's last days.

Did you know that only half of the homeowners in New Orleans had flood
insurance? In condos and apartment complexes, the insurance stuff is far
trickier and they can take years to get sorted out.

Speaking of Texas ... Texas demonstrates exactly who you should fault if
anyone. The State of Louisiana. They failed to prepare for such an
eventuality. Texas has planned for *years* for the total obliteration of
the port city of Galveston, just as has happened with New Orleans. That
is why they have been able to respond the way they have. The cots, the
infrastructure, the whole shebang was ready to go as soon as they were
given the word. Was LA prepared for this possibility? Nope. Not even
close. And they had/have a higher risk factor due to New Orleans being
below sea level.

So why was Texas (Where Bush came from) prepared for this possibility
yet Louisiana had not considered it? No, it wasn't Bush in either case.

To lay this at Bush's feet is lunacy on all accounts. The National Guard
left it's primary role of state militia and disaster relief long ago
when it became part of the US Army. As such, the structure and layout of
the NG assets changed dramatically. The decision to build the levees and
flood/hurricane protection assets the way they were done was made in
1965-1966. Inter-agency communication was, is, and will always be far
less than ideal, and no president -not even a Libertarian one- can
change that.

There are inherent delays between assessment, communication of status,
need determination, requests for needs and assistance, determination of
best assets to fill needs, and delivery of assets.

The only way to expect it to get any better is for a series of private
organizations to come up to provide disaster and emergency management
facilities. Ones not limited by politics and government stagnation. Let
cities, states, even communities and individuals contract out for the
services.

One more thing people should take out of this. Congress has too much
authority. Decisions about where military bases are placed, where
federal financial institutions are placed, etc. do not belong in the
hands of the Congress. They do not need to be centralized, and do not
need to be put places for political pandering and gain. If the Army
decides it doesn't need a base, let them close it. If a risk management
entity determines New Orleans is not a safe place to hold the federal
government paycheck distribution center, let it go somewhere else.
Politics be damned.

[Side note: the French quarter will likely be the first rebuilt.
Why?It's flooding was far, far less than the rest. Why? You guessed it,
it's mainly above sea level.]

It would take several decades to reverse the effects of government
meddling on a national level. And that is optimistic. At the state
level, yes it can be done. But it has to be done individually, state by
state. City/County/Ward/Parrish by City/County/Ward/Parrish in some
areas.

> > The only bright side of this all is that we sent Jesse Jackson to
> > Mississippi. Perhaps he will finally do the right thing and try to provide
> > decent housing, drinking water and food for 250,000 plus homeless in the
> > Deep South.
> > Of course, your thoughts may differ.

Yeah right. We all know he won't do anything of substance. It would
tarnish his self-image. ;)

On a side note, my SUV purchase is paying off even more about now. We
run E85 in it. We are still paying $1.85 per gallon to fill it up. Last
fill up was Tuesday. If the wholesale cost of gasoline doubles, the cost
to drive the Suburban goes up 15%. Do I get to be a bit more smug now
when I speak with environuts who think spending billions on the fallacy
of Hydrogen or think that hybrids are the salvation? Yeah, I think I
get to. :^D

--
Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>