Good morning, Bill...

Bill Anderson wrote:

>> I thought they were talking about the people at the Super Dome, not the
>> Convention Center.
>
> I thought they were/are the same place?

Nope. Equally trashed, but different buildings.

>> Based upon Camille, yes, the percentage of those unable to flee was very
>> high, indeed. As of tonight, CNN is reporting they are housing over
>> 100,000 people being housed in Houston, alone. Holy crap, that is a lot
>> of people when they show up for breakfast!
>
> Uhhh yeah. "Who ordered the ham and eggs?"

[laughing] Nah, grits and aigs would be the politically-correct breakfast
for that crowd...

>> Well, what would have happened *differently* if this had been a terrorist
>> attack, rather than an act of nature? Would we be seeing anything
>> different if terrorists were able to level a major area the size of the
>> hurricane path?
>
> Yes. Think of what it would take to produce this level of devastation.
> First, I'd expect zero warning. Second I'd expect shedloads of radiation
> (to put it mildly). Quite possibly one or more EMP bursts knocking out
> communication.
>
> But none of those prevent basic vehicle movement. You can still drive in
> rad-hardened and sheltered vehicles to restore communications. Those
> within the blast/detonation radius would likely be flat out dead to
> start with.
>
> Alternatively consider biological release on such a scale. Assume for
> the moment it was effective. Again, this does not obliterate the ability
> to fly in, drive in, and truck in supplies, manpower, and equipment.
>

> The key to this whole scenario we've seen unfolding is the floods. it is
> the deciding factor. That and the people shooting at rescuers. But
> mainly the water.
>
> IMO to expect the HDS to be prepared for that (storm/massive flood) is
> just wrong. One woudl hope FEMA might stand a chance, but then again
> FEMA is about organizing a response, not maintaining the assets. It is
> one of my biggest gripes about FEMA.
>
> IMO FEMA is bad for the country and it has nothing to do with liberty.
> FEMA provides a false sense of security on a major scale. FEMA will do
> this FEMA will do that, after all that is what it is for. Quite frankly,
> no it is not. FEMA is a bureaucracy at the highest order. It has never
> been about actual emergency assets. it has been about making people feel
> they are secure. In many ways, FEMA is a mini-UN on the disaster front.

I'm afraid I have to agree with you. As such, I also believe we need to
take FEMA out of the hands of Homeland Security, and redesign and rethink
it to where it is more in keeping with its purpose.

> We have something in common! I was a tornado chaser for a while in
> Pocatello. But you likely saw more real storms. ;)

I just finished reviewing an F4 that devastated a small town in Wisconsin
earlier this spring, and a storm chaser from the Kansas Severe Storm
Center inadvertently made the comment that they seldom have REAL tornados
in Wisconsin. My response, probably about Wisconsin would probably be the
same about Pocatello: anything above an F2 or F3 can ruin your entire day,
not to mention eliminate a lot of real estate in the process.

I've seen storms in the midwest where there were perhaps as many as six or
eight wannabe storm chasers trying to capture pictures of a meso or even a
good downdraft, but I'll bet you never had a traffic jam chasing storms in
Southern Idaho. Not to mention, although funnels are not as frequent in
Idaho as they are in Kansas and Nebraska, you still are about the business
of trying to save lives.

>> I just tried some E85 purchased at a Cenex dealer here in Eastern
>> Washington, and although I did notice a little bit of "pinging" from my
>> fuel-injected turbocharged van, I felt a little less pain at the pump. I
>> also understand that there are certain tuning specifications for my van
>> which may help with the pinging, but even so, I got 18 MPG overall, so
>> I'm fairly happy. Thanks for the tip!
>
> I dunno I'd run it much unless it was made for it. Gas lines and tuning
> are the main thing.

I've been poring over the technical manual for the van and can see some
places where, if I were going to stick with E85, I'd have to make some
minor changes, but nothing that an afternoon in the garage out back
wouldn't cure. I was SO worried about the turbo unit, but then I read
where farmers in the Midwest are running nearly straight ethanol in
tractors with huge blowers. My other big concern is how readily available
E85 will remain here in Eastern Washington, the land of inconsistency.
(some say the land of incontinence, but that applies mostly to politicos).

If Cenex tells me the supply will continue to be offered, I may seriously
consider conversion.

Dave
--
Dave Laird ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
The Used Kharma Lot / The Phoenix Project

An automatic & random thought For the Minute:
Above all things, reverence yourself.