On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 00:06 -0600, Lowell C. Savage wrote:
> Greetings again, Frank!
>
> You know, I should have gone back earlier and more carefully read the
> different news items and press releases below.  It looks to me like you've
> basically confirmed the Newsmax story even though you called it "bogus."
> The linked Newsmax story has been corrected so it no longer claims that the
> governor did NOT declare a state of emergency.  However, the SOE declaration
> that you noted (as I pointed out in other posts) did not provide for the
> necessary permission and authority for Bush to move troops in (either
> Nationalized NG or active duty military).
>
> Then there is the press release you pointed to.  It appears to still be
> vague about exactly what military and NG assistance she is going to permit.
> Even though she agrees to a "single military commander" for federal forces,
> she is clearly keeping state assets and personnel under state control and
> then she wants to "co-locate" a "coordinating officer".  Cool.  So, now the
> feds can get tied up "coordinating" with state officials who probably have
> to run to "mommy Blanco" whenever they want to wipe their noses.  Oh yes,
> and I just noticed that "over 25 National Guard states currently being
> commanded by the Lousiana Adjutant General."  So Bush gets the blame while
> Blanco keeps control of what is happening.
>
> The Newsmax story says that the feds wanted to take over the NO evacuation
> and that it was refused by the Governor.  It appears that the press release
> you pointed to only confirmed that.  Then, there's this other press release
> from Sept. 3, "Yesterday, I personally briefed President Bush on our
> requirement for additional federal assistance.  In response to this request,
> this morning President Bush announced more than 7,000 additional troops are
> on the way to help with hurricane recovery."
>
> http://gov.louisiana.gov/Press_Release_detail.asp?id=1004
>
> In other words, there isn't a thing that Bush can do until "mommy Blanco"
> tells him he can.  Like I said, it's a neat political trick: make yourself
> the bottleneck, grandstand, and blame the other guy for what you are doing.

Federal law prohibits the Federal Government (President) from taking
over NG troops for disaster recovery w/o written consent/request by the
governor of the state in question. Nothing either Bush or Blanco can do
about that other than follow the law.

When the Governor refuses it, the President has very limited options,
and can not make the decision to unilaterally do so - he doesn't have
the authority.

Further, according to the Red Cross and other people (some of whom I
know), they were ready to go, but the STATE of Louisiana's "Department
of Homeland Security" denied them access and refused to let them in.
Whether or not Blanco had anything to do with that I can't say. But it
is a fact and a major blunder IMO on the part of the STATE government of
LA.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/08/katrina.redcross/index.html

(If FrankG claims CNN is biased to favor Bush we'll all *know* he's more
than a touch crazy. ;) )

I heard an interview with the guy on the radio and he said he was told
that they were trying to evacuate people, not provide places for them to
stay. They said that if they set up shelters it would cause people to
flock there and not want to leave, and they wanted everyone out instead.

For those of yu (such as FrankG) who have clearly never been involved
with the NG, it is a state asset. The President is Commander in Chief
*only* when the NG is activated for combat or combat support. At ALL
other times, the state NG commander and the state Governor.

FrankG claims he is "equally biased", yet demonstrates he is not. He
rabidly defends the Democrat and ignorantly blames the Republican. If he
were "equally biased", he'd be attacking/defending them both. He does
not.

However, as you stated, a SoE is not a troop use situation, nor is it a
mandatory evacuation or even an evacuation request. They are distinct
things. My county has had many State of Emergency declarations issued
with not a single one involving troops of any military or even a "you
might want to possibly consider maybe leaving" request or suggestion.

Many states, such as Idaho, have laws forbidding the use of non-state
troops w/o consent of the governor and/or legislature. Some states
actually classify it as any armed personnel. Idaho is one such state.

Granted, all she had to do was sign the damned document to let the fed
handle the situation, yet she chose not to. I won't try to guess her
reasons why, but that she chose to not do so despite the requests being
made is not in dispute.

That said, we do have another scenario that played out rather
interestingly. Mayor of New Orleans declares a mandatory evacuation.
Governor Blanco *publicly* countered it saying
"The mayor certainly has ordered that but the governor, and that would
be me, would have to enforce it or implement it. We are trying to
determine whether there is an absolute justification for that"

I saw the interview with her where she said it. It aint no newsmax
story, nor is it a FNC story. It's her story.  No spin needed, we can
all read her words right there. They clearly undermine and/or counter
the Mayor's proclamation.

Is this perhaps one of the causes of the LA failures? They've tried to
emulate the federal structure while having no clue as to why it is set
that way? Reminds me of the story about a little girl baking with her
mother. Mom makes the ham, cuts the ends off and sticks it in the pan.
She asks mommy why. Her mommy replies "That's the way my mother always
did it so that's how I've done it". When the girl asks grandmother, her
response is "Well I don't know why your mother does it. I did it because
my pan was too small."  Did the state of LA simply try to imitate the
federal model because it sounded good?

Even if they did, they clearly failed to do it correctly, as the federal
government still leaves the control in the hands of the local
authorities unless expressly given it by them. Obviously, if the
Governor is who determines if a city can be mandated to evacuate, and
that the governor implements or enforces it, they have decided they are
to be in charge. While FrankG may try to claim that her outright
claiming it to be *her* decision is a result of political bias to
protect someone else, it won't make it true.

Now, I'm not a fan of mandatory evacuations because I think they are
stupid. To tell someone they have to leave or face the risk of death and
to threaten/use lethal force to make it happen is the height of
stupidity.  It is essentially "You might die if you stay, so leave or we
shoot you.".  However, IF I were to ever consider such an action, the
situation that is currently seen in NO certainly ranks high on the
"could happen" meter. Hmmm even after accounting for the standard
"journalism" exaggeration and sensationalism , it is a city 2/3rds under
water, very polluted waters with many health risks. Doesn't seem
entirely unreasonable to me. I know if I were governor and the Mayor of
Boise were in a similar situation I would not be publicly countering him
on it -- even if I disagreed.

That said, the NG and police have it right, IMO. The NG says "Not our
responsibility, we won't do it" and they are right. The police say "look
we've got thousands who do want to leave, we are worrying abut them".

Now, General Honore, from what I've seen I like this guy. He don't take
crap from any reporter. He is not afraid to correct a reporter on gross
ignorance and clear attempts at sensationalism (just hear is rant on
being asked about "snipers"!).

While I've stayed out of this particular discussion till now (till I had
more info) it certainly does give the appearance of her wanting to
maintain control; from not allowing the fed to coordinate the effort and
command troops to countermanding the Mayor of New Orleans declaring a
mandatory evacuation. Something is beginning to smell a bit rank, IMO.

On August 28th (as in before landfall) Bush did declare the Emergency
and issue orders for federal troops for Mississippi. He had been given
the authority to do so. Florida didn't feel the need for one (It was
"only a cat1"). Whether you like it or not, the laws place the
responsibility in the hands of the states, and the Fed (such as FEMA)
are not the authorities. Absent them being given the permission, they
are largely powerless to take instantiative action.

--
Random Fortune of the moment:
When some people decide it's time for everyone to make big changes,