On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:01:23 +0100, "Tim Bedding"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Frank
>
>> It may not be as much information as what could be obtained
>> unconstitutionally, and the result may cost a few lives,
>> but that's just one of the prices of freedom.
>
>I am not sure how many "a few" is to you. Almost 3000 people
>died in the September 11th attacks according to wikipedia.
>
>To me, that is more than a few.
>
>Saying that that is a price worth paying would seem unlikely to
>increase the chances of electoral success for the Libertarian
>party.

That's not what I said. The 9/11 commission stated that the attack
could have been prevented by using the intelligence that was
available, intelligence that was -not- gathered under the provisions
of the unPatriot Act. The 9/11 attack was a product of poor
intelligence management, -not- of constitutional limitations on
intelligence gathering. Many terrorist attacks can be, and have been,
prevented using intelligence gathered by constitutional methods. The
commission found that 9/11 should have been one of them.

Or am I missing your point here?

Newsgroups