On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 18:36 +0100, Tim Bedding wrote:
> Frank
>
> > I understand the logic of such actions. But the big problem is
> > the potential for abuse. If the government cannot be
> > held accountable for
> > their actions (i.e, if the 'secret evidence' is withheld
> > upon legal challenge of the imprisonment, as allowed under
> > the unPatriot Act)
> > then most certainly I oppose it.
>
> http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/n_story.asp?item_id=1243
>
> I quote from the page:
> independent judicial scrutiny of decisions to impose control orders,
> including the hearing of evidence in open and closed session by the High
> Court, with the interests of the subject of the order represented by a
> special advocate in closed session;
>

> So the person under the control order would not see the secret
> evidence. The special advocate would see the evidence.
>
> Do you still think there is potential for abuse? If so, could
> you provide the libnw list with an example of the kind of
> thing that might happen?

Just who is the SA? Someone appointed by say, the government?

Evidence you don't get to see is secret evidence. Secret evidence is
wide open for abuse. It doesn't take a genius to know that. Do you deny
that secret evidence is open for abuse, even if a specially appointed
(by the government) is allegedly allowed to review it?

> The right to privacy may be advanced by the Libertarian Party
> and presumably privacy would apply in hospital.

Unless the hospital is a government one, then yes.

> In the Babylon 5 episode, The War Prayer, Garibaldi placed
> a man under surveillance even when in hospital and it led to
> the capturing of Home Guard criminals. The Home Guard is
> a fictional organisation which violently opposes the presence
> of aliens on Earth.

Randomly shooting people will sometimes kill criminals, terrorists even.
Don't make it right.

That said, Tim you really need to get a grip on reality. That reality
being that Babylon 5 was a scripted show, not a representation of real
life. Using it as a basis or justification for real world politics and
police state machinations is really sad and a waste of brain space. B5,
while a great work of fiction, is still a fiction. Funny you mention
that the Home Guard is fictional. The whole thing is fictional, why
bring out the fact that part of it is? The reason that bit of
surveillance worked was because the author decided it would. Reality
doesn't work that way.

In the real world surveillance is often tedious, boring, incorrect and
ineffective.