Frank

> It's not a matter of tradition but of history. If you want
> crystal clear examples of the potential for abuse of
> "secret evidence" then
> study the political history of just about any authoritarian
> regime, especially the USSR.

I am not saying that all regimes that employed secret evidence
had no abuse.

All that history may be able to show is that those particular
regimes which used secret evidence in a particular way
had problems.

This does not show that secret evidence inevitably results
in abuse.

To say that the UK system must be flawed because of other
regimes is to say that all apples must be oranges.

However, apples and oranges are different items.

So, I would return to the idea of evaluating the particular
UK system to see if it is lacking.

Take Stalin and his purges for example. Those were arbitrary
acts of a dictator involving show trials. The UK system,
although claimed to be flawed, is not one of a dictator.

The claim by opponents of the system (like HRW) is that
the system is flawed not that it involves show trials.

If you disagree with anything above, it would be interesting
to know.

Regards
Tim

Babylon 5 - Eyes
Garibaldi: They twist the facts to their own satisfaction
  and always assume you have something to hide.