Hi Dave,

Most S/390 shops had, at least initially, the reverse problem:

"Linux is Unix and doesn't run on mainframes...."

Ok, Ok, there's always been IBM AIX - but we won't go there.

To this day, when I try to get IP addresses for "virtual Linux/390 guests"
it confuses the heck out the networking people.  They don't understand that
there are no MAC addresses (how can your SuSE Linux PC be connected to the
network without a NIC?!?!), no physical machines other than "that big
mainframe box in the corner", etc.

It ultimately comes down to a turf war.  The S/390 shops don't want to give
up their budget for "Unix stuff", and the Unix shops don't want to give up
their budgets for "mainframe stuff".  What they haven't "gotten" yet is that
they are one and the same with the advent of Linux/390.

Michael Coffin, VM Systems Programmer
Internal Revenue Service - Room 6527
1111 Constitution Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C.  20224

Voice: (202) 927-4188   FAX:  (202) 622-3123
[EMAIL PROTECTED]